Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content

Specialties

About Mold

Molds are multicellular organisms (yeast is single cell) occurring in nature that produce and emit mycotoxins which are very small molecules that can make you sick. Water damaged buildings, persistent dampness in the home especially in basements, crawl spaces, and behind walls, may go unrecognized and cause a myriad of symptoms and persistent illness. Most often the mycotoxins are inhaled, however they may also be absorbed through the skin. Additionally, electromagnetic fields in the home (wifi, cell phones, mobile phones) can cause mold spores to increase the production of mycotoxins as well.

Symptoms of mold illness and mycotoxin exposure include:

  • anxiety
  • dizziness
  • skin rashes
  • headaches
  • heart palpitations
  • weight gain
  • shortness of breath
  • allergic symptoms
  • muscle aches
  • joint pain
  • bowel issues
  • ADD/ADHD symptoms
  • OCD
  • urinary urgency
  • sensory issues
  • polyuria
  • chronic fatigue
  • nausea

...and a host of other symptoms.

Mycotoxins produced by molds cause immune system dysregulation and detoxification difficulties which may affect the rate of healing.

Mycotoxin illness can certainly be treated effectively, however the most important step is to identify WHERE the mold is geographically located, and initiate remediation by a qualified specialist immediately. You MUST remove yourself from the mold infested area, or wall off the area and use an ozonator to kill the mold. Be careful around ozone though because it can damage your lungs if you accidentally breath it in.

There are many tests on the market to detect mold and mycotoxins ranging from urine to blood tests. Please speak with Dr. Marra about her preferred test.

Dr. Marra has been treating mold and biotoxin illness for over 20 years and is a member of ISEAI (International Society of Environmentally Acquired Illness). SHe has also completed both Dr. Shoemaker’s and Dr. Crista’s mold educational program for practitioners.